Curriculum Information Guide
Sport Management MinorProf. Sarbjit Singh, Chair
Sport Management Dept.
School of Business
The Sport Management Minor is available to all baccalaureate majors, except Sport Management. The Sport Management minor is an undergraduate minor which consists of 18 credits - three required SMT courses, 6 credits of SMT courses at the 200-level or higher, or one SMT course at the 200-level or higher and SOC 309 Sport in Society, or one SMT course at the 200-level or higher and ECO 304 Sports Economics, and three credits of PED elective courses. The selection of electives must be done in consultation with a full-time member of the Department.
About Academic Minors
Farmingdale State College students are invited to enhance their studies with an "Academic Minor." A minor is a cluster of thematically related courses drawn from one or more departments. In addition to department based minors (e.g. computer programming & info systems), interdisciplinary minors are also available (e.g. legal studies).
Academic minors are approved by the College-Wide Curriculum Committee and the Provost. Students must make application for an academic minor through the department offering the minor in conjunction with the Registrar's Office Specific course work must be determined in consultation with a faculty member in the department offering the minor. A statement of successful completion of the academic minor will appear on the student's transcript at the time of graduation.
- A minor is considered to be an optional supplement to a student's major program of study.
- Completion of a minor is not a graduation requirement and is subject to the availability of the courses selected. However, if the requirements for a minor are not completed prior to certification of graduation in the major, it will be assumed that the minor has been dropped. Consequently, the student will only be certified for graduation in their primary major.
- Only students in 4 year baccalaureate programs can apply for a minor.
- A minor should consist of 15 to 21 credits.
- At least 12 credits must be in courses at the 200 level or higher.
- At least 9 credits must be residency credits.
- Specific requirements for each minor are determined by the department granting the minor.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in their minor. Some minors may require a higher GPA.
- Students are prohibited from declaring a minor in the same discipline as their major (e.g. one cannot combine an applied math minor with an applied math major). Academic minors may not apply to all curricula.
- Students are permitted to double-count courses.
- Students are only permitted to take more than one minor with appropriate written approval of their department chair or curriculum Dean.
|Fall 2019 - Subject to Revision|
|SMT 110 Introduction to Sport Management||3|
|SMT 225 Sport Marketing||3|
|SMT 320 Athletic Administration||3|
Two Sport Management (SMT) courses at the 200- level or higher (includes RAM 303)
One Sport Management (SMT) course at the 200-level or higher and SOC 309 Sport in Society
One Sport Management (SMT) course at the 200-level or higher and ECO 304 Sports Economics
|Physical Education electives||(3 credits):|
A combination of three one credit courses or one three credit course, including up to two credits for participation on NCAA varsity teams.
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.