Curriculum Information Guide
Interaction Design (IxD)
Bachelor of Technology Degree
The Interaction Design Bachelor of Technology degree focuses on human behavior and user experience in the design and development of mobile applications, responsive web design and user experiences, service design, social networks, way-finding projects, brick and mortar and on-line retailing, exhibit design and more. This program encourages a culture in which students learn the value of collaboration, vision, risk-taking, discovery, entrepreneurship, passion, social responsibility and play. Students will immerse themselves in an environment that focuses on the practical application of user-centered, needs-based design solutions built upon strong research and development, observation, and prototyping.
Interaction Designers have the ability to influence the future development of products, systems and services in fields as diverse as education, healthcare, banking, business, and more. Graduates of the program will enter into employment such as mobile interface design, web design, user experience design (UX), user interaction design (UI), human computer interaction and more.
For additional information, or to schedule an interview and tour of our facilities, please contact the Visual Communications Department at 631-420-2181
Typical Employment Opportunities
Kiosk Design and Development
Museum Experience Design
User Experience Design (UX)
User Interface Design (UI)
Web Development and Design
Interaction Design (IXD) BT Program Objectives:
- Graduates will develop and build upon strong foundational design skills through exploration and experimentation.
- Graduates will master skill sets in traditional and digital techniques to design successful interactive experiences.
- Graduates will exhibit an understanding of graphic design and interaction design from both an historical perspective as well as from a contemporary perspective with current and future trends of industry being paramount.
- Graduates will build professional skills including resume development, self promotion, job search, industry procedures and practices and presentation techniques.
- Graduates will present a portfolio of work in order to successfully compete in the current job market and to apply for graduate study. In this portfolio, students will demonstrate knowledge of current technical and conceptual interaction design standards.
|Fall 2018- Subject to Revision|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences||(33 credits)|
|ART 202 Survey of Art History: Early Renaissance to the Present (GE)||3|
|PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology (GE)||3|
|BIO/ PHY Elective (GE)||3|
|ART 203 History of Interaction Design (GE)||3|
Please refer to the General Education and Writing-Intensive Requirement Sections of the College catalog and consult with your advisor to ensure that graduation requirements are satisfied.
|Support Courses||(21 credits)|
|BCS 130 Website Development I||3|
|BCS 240 Website Development II||3|
|PSY 328 Introduction to Human Factors||3|
|300 + Electives||6|
|Interaction Design Core||(67 credits)|
Degree Type: BT
Total Required Credits: 121
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.