Curriculum Information Guide
Visual Communications: Art & Graphic DesignProf. Donna Proper, Chair
Visual Communications Dept.
School of Business
Bachelor of Technology Degree
The Visual Communications Department has a history of more than a half-century of innovation and excellence. Our design program offers a comprehensive and relevant educational experience that prepares students to be real-life creative problem solvers in traditional as well as emerging fields. Upon graduation, they demonstrate valuable professional skills and technological competencies vital for succeeding in an evolving creative environment.
The Visual Communications: Art & Graphic Design Baccalaureate Degree experience also includes opportunities that enable students to gain essential professional experience and participate beyond the classroom: two internship courses encourage students to pursue professional opportunities while the “in-house” agency courses allow students to work collaboratively and directly with clients. The Design Club and a student chapter of the AIGA, the premiere professional association for design, give our students an opportunity to participate in the industry as student learners. There are also industry-related field trips and special study abroad programs with trips that range from a few weeks to an entire semester.
The success of graduates in positions of responsibility in some of the best-known agencies, design teams, studios and corporations in the region and around the country illustrates the strength of our program. Many alumni have become thriving entrepreneurs by opening their own agencies and art-related businesses or as well as through active freelance careers.
For additional information, or to schedule an interview and tour of our facilities, please contact the Visual Communications Department.
Typical Employment Opportunities
Brand Identity Designer
Mobile Interface Designer
Social Media Designer
User Experience Designer
Visual Content Developer
Web Designer & Developer
Visual Communications (BT) Program Objectives:
- Graduates will receive a strong foundation in design, will have opportunities to explore, experiment, and master skillsets in traditional disciplines and digital techniques.
- Graduates will demonstrate diverse knowledge and skills required to perform professionally in an evolving creative work environment.
- Graduates will exhibit the knowledge necessary to understand design from an historical perspective, as well as current and future trends of industry.
- Graduates will have learned specific professional skills addressing résumé development, self-promotion, job search skills, industry procedures and practices and presentation techniques.
- Graduates will have created a portfolio of work, which will meet industry demands in order to successfully compete in the current job market.
|Fall 2018- Subject to Revision|
Transfer credit is granted at the discretion of the faculty based on grades and a portfolio assessment. All students entering the program, including transfer students, will be required to take VIS 116 Digital Media & Methods.
Degree Type: BT
Total Required Credits: 120
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.