Curriculum Information Guide
Business AnalyticsDr. Nanda Viswanathan, Chair
School of Business
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science degree in Business Analytics is designed to prepare students for jobs that require data analysis skills, data visualization, and presentation skills that are essential to decision making in organizations.
The explosive growth of technologies and applications that collect data and generate information is changing the business landscape. Current and new technologies and social media provide abundant information (i.e., big data) to businesses and organizations. Consequently, today’s challenge is to extract useful information from big data (data mining); to interpret that information (descriptive analytics), to predict the future (predictive analytics), and to make decisions that would help organizations to achieve their goals (prescriptive analytics).
The Business Analytics program will teach students the necessary skills to work with large data sets and perform data mining tasks to enable evidence-based decision making. Graduates from the BS in Business Analytics will have powerful analytical skills combined with a strong business background. Therefore, graduates from the program will succeed in the changing business environment and will have the foundation necessary to pursue advanced degrees in the field as well.
Typical Employment Opportunities
Market Research Analyst
Sports Statistical Analyst
Computer Systems Analyst
Business Analytics (BS) Program Outcomes:
- Graduates will demonstrate strong core discipline knowledge in accounting, finance, legal environment of business, management, marketing, and operations management.
- Graduates will evaluate ethics and social responsibility issues.
- Graduates will analyze business situations and offer reasoned, actionable suggestions leading to problem resolution.
- Graduates will demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills supported by current technology.
- Graduates will evaluate the impact of the political, cultural and legal context surrounding global business operations and their effect on local business operations.
- Graduates will summarize and interpret each step in the analytics process and apply appropriate analytics software and tools (data collection, data mining, descriptive analytics, predictive analytics, and prescriptive analytics).
|Liberal Arts and Sciences||( 61 credits )|
|Required: Business Analytics||( 48 credits )|
|Free Elective||( 3 credits )|
|Free Elective (300 level or higher)||( 9 credits )|
Degree Type: BS
Total Required Credits: 121
Please refer to the General Education, Applied Learning, and Writing Intensive requirement sections of the College Catalog and consult with your advisor to ensure that graduation requirements are satisfied.
BUS 386 Marketing Analytics
BUS 314 Supply Chain Analytics
BUS 319 Marketing Research
BUS 387 Financial Analytics
MTH 246 Introduction to Financial Mathematics
MTH 346 Continuous Time Finance
BCS 260 Introduction to Database Systems
BCS 425 Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.