Curriculum Information Guide
Architectural Engineering TechnologyProf. Orla Smyth LoPiccolo, Chair
Architecture & Construction Management Department
School of Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Architectural Engineering Technology (ARC) program synthesizes the aesthetic, technical and functional elements of building design and construction. The academic thrust of the program is applied technology. The students in this program will be educated in the process of building design from concept to completion.
The purpose of the Architectural Engineering Technology program is to prepare students for careers in architectural, structural, and mechanical aspects of the design and construction of buildings. The students will be educated in the process of carrying design projects from schematics through construction. In addition to preparing students for meaningful and rewarding careers at the Bachelor’s level, the program will also prepare students for successful entry in the professional and non-professional graduate programs in architecture and other areas.
Architectural Engineering Technology (BS) Program Outcomes:
- Graduates will have broad background in one or more areas of design: architectural, construction, site and structural in addition to history, theory and technology. Graduates will assume professional positions in architectural and building construction industry.
- Graduates will be creative problem solvers in industry.
- Graduates will be effective communicators in professional setting.
- Graduates will adapt state of the art technologies and processes in industry.
- Graduates will pursue continuing education and professional development opportunities.
This program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org
Potential Employment/Employment Demand
Employment in the architectural field is strongly tied to the level of local construction, particularly new residential structure such as office buildings, shopping centers, schools and health care facilities. The boom in new construction in the region is expected to continue for a considerable time in the future. As the stock of buildings age, demand for remodeling and repair work should also grow. The needed renovations and rehabilitation of old buildings is expected to provide many job opportunities according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Also according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment in this field will grow as fast as the average for all occupations during this period.
Student club - Architecture and Construction Technology (ACT) Club
Student Learning Outcomes: Architectural Engineering Technology
1. An ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, or technology to solve broadly-defined engineering problems
2. An ability to design systems, components, or processes meeting specified needs for broadly-defined engineering problems appropriate to Architectural Engineering Technology
3. An ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments and to analyze and interpret the results to improve processes
4. An ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team
5. An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and nontechnical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature
|Fall 2019 - Subject to Revision|
*in consultation with department advisor.
Degree Type: BS
Total Required Credits: 125
Please refer to the General Education, Applied Learning, and Writing Intensive requirement sections of the College Catalog and consult with your advisor to ensure that graduation requirements are satisfied.
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.