Distinguished Teaching Professor
Director, Social Science Research Institute (SSRI)
Thompson Hall ~ room 106
Social Science Research Institute
The Social Science Research Institute at Farmingdale State College promotes excellence guided by ethics in fostering scientific and social advances. Altruism and civic engagement together serve as both the means to human success and the goal of cultural and technological progress. The SSRI is committed to social justice and community advocacy.
Food Day 2014: Education, Information, Demonstration, Contemplation
Food Day will be celebrated on Thursday, October 9 from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the Campus Center Ballroom at Farmingdale State College. Admission is free and open to the community.
The Social Science Research Institute of Farmingdale State College is proud to announce the Second Annual International Food Day Program! Food Day was created to unite people with a vision of food that is healthy, affordable, and produced with care for the environment, farm animals, and the people who grow, harvest, and serve it. To do this, there will be demonstrations, lectures, and exhibitors, including:
- Michael Veracka (FSC Department of Urban Horticulture and Design) - Sustainable Gardens
- August Ruckdeschel (Suffolk County Agriculture and Fisheries) - Farms and Farming
- Heather Forest and Larry Foglia - (L.I. Community Agricultural Network - LICAN) - Display and Market of Produce
- Aramark - From Farm to Table food tasting, demonstration, and display
- Bhavani Jaroff (Slow Food Huntington) - Food Demonstration and Discussion of Slow Food Movement
- Dr. Zahrine Bajwa (Cornell Cooperative Extension) - Food Security
- Erin Thorensen (Sustainable Long Island) - Food Equity, Access, Food Report Card
- Professor Mary Kirby-Diaz (Professor Emeritus, Sociology) – Locavores
As with last year, Farmingdale State College’s Second Annual International Food Day will focus on Education, Information, Demonstration, and Contemplation. We’ll feed your mind, and we’ll feed your body! There will be live cooking demonstrations (and samples!). Admission is free, and all are invited to participate on October 9, 2014 in the Campus Center. Come hungry, leave healthy!
The program is being sponsored by the Social Science Research Institute of Farmingdale State College. Dr. Miriam Deitsch, Distinguished Teaching Professor, and Director of the Social Science Research Institute; and Lisa Eicher, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Professional Communications have organized Farmingdale Food Day in keeping with the spirit and guidelines of Washington D.C.’s Center for Science in the Public Interest.