The Study Abroad Office is open Monday through Friday. We advise that students schedule an appointment by email.
Office Hours: Mon - Fri
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Education Abroad Advisor
International Education & Programs
Farmingdale State College, SUNY
Laffin Hall 302
Study Abroad is an amazing opportunity for students to travel overseas, enroll in classes at a foreign university, and experience a new culture. The programs that are available to you as a student will provide the confidence, cultural exposure, self-awareness and career preparation necessary in this expanding global job market. Study abroad grants you the opportunity to study in a foreign country for a variety of terms: summer, intersession, fall semester, spring semester and full year.
What is Exchange?
Exchange is different than study abroad in that you and a student from a partner university are essentially trading places. This is unique in that there are usually limited spots and the tuition and fees are the same as studying at Farmingdale. Exchange programs have been developed with universities having curriculum and teaching methods similar to those here are Farmingdale State College. An exchange experience abroad will not only keep you on track, but is a great way to explore a new culture and is a great addition to your resume!
What is Faculty-Led?
Faculty-led programs are usually short term programs that have a Farmingdale professor on site in the foreign country with our students. They are unique in that a student is able to take a Farmingdale course with a Farmingdale professor while visiting another country. Our offerings include traditional classroom experiences abroad and excursion-style travel components of full semester study at FSC.
Things to know before applying for a program…
- Beginning January 1st, 2015, the application fee for ALL FSC-HOSTED PROGRAMS is $60, and it is non-refundable. Payment is accepted in the form of cash, check or money order only, made payable to Farmingdale State College.
- FSC students studying abroad must receive course pre-approval from their department chair in order to receive credits towards their Farmingdale degree upon return from the program. If pre-approval is not received, degree completion, financial aid and fees from student accounts may be sacrificed. It is the responsibility of the student meet with their department chair. Student must bring the appropriate documentation, complete and return it to the study abroad office prior to their program deadline. Failure to do so may risk your eligibility for the program. Pre-approval for full-time study in the fall and spring semesters or 6 credits in the summer term are required to be eligible for financial aid.
- In order to receive credits for courses taken on your study abroad program:
- They must be pre-approved by your department chair.
- You must receive a grade of “C” or higher.
- Each program has a budget sheet with anticipated program costs and expenses. The amounts listed under "Other Projected Expenses" are estimates and may increase or decrease due to exchange rate fluctuations and personal spending habits. All costs subject to change.
*The credits received abroad from another institution will be reflected on your Farmingdale State College transcript as transfer credits. These grades will not affect your GPA.
|Fall: April 15th|
|Thanksgiving Break: April 15th|
|Intersession: October 15th|
|Spring: October 15th|
|Spring Break: November 15th|
|Summer: March 15th|
Students who are interested in studying abroad should email email@example.com for inquiries or to schedule an appointment.
Have you seen us in the News lately?....
We have signed on with IIE's Generation Study Abroad Initiative!