Go to Main NavigationGo to Secondary NavigationGo to SearchGo to Left NavigationSkip to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS

Study Abroad Financial Aid Procedure

As a SUNY student, your regular tuition rate will apply and be paid at your home campus. Any additional program fees will be paid to the SUNY school hosting your abroad program.

Additional study abroad costs may include:

  • Airfare
  • Money for personal expenses or travel
  • Books or other materials required for the courses
  • Visa application (if applicable)
  • Cell phone and communication costs
  • Transportation
  • Meals

When submitting your application packet be sure to complete the Financial Agreement Form. If you are using financial aid to cover any program expenses, this form must be completed with a financial aid advisor.

It is very important that you understand the costs associated with your study abroad program. All FSC study abroad programs grant academic credit, therefore the student will be billed for applicable tuition and any related college fees in addition the estimated cost of the study abroad program. Within the SUNY system there are over a 1000 study abroad programs. The program cost varies with respect to location, housing accommodations, length of program, etc. With research you are sure to find a program that meets your budget.

We highly recommended you make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor early in your planning process to discuss finance options available to best maximize your funding.

Students can fund their study abroad experience in multiple ways; personal savings, FAFSA, scholarship and grants. Students who do not qualify for financial aid, or students who have exhausted their federal loan eligibility and would like to increase their aid can look to private and/or alternative student loan options. Setting up a payment plan is an option as well. Payment plan applications are available at the student accounts office.

Please be aware a student is only eligible for a certain amount of funding per academic year. It's important to discuss with a Financial Aid Counselor how your use of financial aid funds for studying abroad may or may not affect your financial aid needed to pay for subsequent semesters.
Per federal regulations the Financial Aid Office will disburse funds on specific dates set by the Financial Aid Office at the beginning of each academic year. Financial aid, if eligible is often not dispersed until after a program commences and costs may be incurred prior to departure. You may have to use personal funds to pay program costs prior to the disbursement dates. Students' failure to make timely payments may result in late fees, transcripts being withheld, accounts being put on hold, as well as the account being turned over to a collection agency.

Since your financial aid and or loan check will be disbursed while you are abroad you will need to set up a method to release your funds. Please stop by the Student Accounts office to compete the required paperwork.

All federal and state aid for students that are matriculating at FSC will be certified through FSC, the home institution. In the case that a student is participating in a FSC program but matriculating at another institution, the student's home institution will process any federal or state aid the student may be eligible to receive.

Students participating on an exchange program are responsible for any and all charges accrued at both the home as well as host institution.

Please be aware that if you are in receipt of a monetary scholarship or grant award your financial aid eligibility may be affected.


What to bring to your Financial Aid meeting if you are receiving financial funding:

  • Study Abroad Acceptance Letter
  • Completed and filed FAFSA from prior tax year
  • Detailed budget sheet for study abroad program
  • Financial Aid Arrangement Form
  • Completed and signed Course approval form
  • Scholarship award letter (if applicable)
  • Grant award letter (if applicable)