Go to Main NavigationGo to Secondary NavigationGo to SearchGo to Left NavigationSkip to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS

Reversing Long Island’s Brain Drain:

Large Majority of Farmingdale State College Students

Employed Within Six Months of Graduation

June 22, 2017

 

Farmingdale State College’s most recent survey of alumni reveals that 89% of baccalaureate degree recipients are employed within six months of graduation.  Of that group, 80% are working full-time and 88% are working on Long Island and in Metro New York.  Seventy-four percent are employed at a position related to their degree. 

The 2015-2016 “Six Months after Graduation Report” was completed by 38% of the graduating classes of 2015 and 2016.

“These are the kinds of outcomes that occur when we not only offer first-class teaching, but provide our students with significant real-world, hands-on experience outside the classroom,” said Farmingdale President Dr. John S. Nader.  “In today’s highly competitive job market, students must have both, and we are proud to note how well our students are utilizing the opportunities we provide them.”

Other highlights of the survey include:

 

  • Among baccalaureate degree recipients whose positions are related to their degree, 44% secured their jobs prior to graduation. The remaining 56% secured their jobs within six months following graduation.
  • 53% of the employed graduates believe Farmingdale prepared them “extremely well” or “very well” for their current position. This percentage goes up to 57% among those working in a job related to their major.
  • 82% of those employed are either “very satisfied” or “satisfied” with their current jobs.
  • 19% of baccalaureate respondents who are employed reported annual salaries of at least $60,000.  49% reported annual salaries of $40,000 or more.
  • 39% of respondents reported having done an internship at Farmingdale. Of that group, 46% were offered a permanent position at the company where they interned. 51% of those responding to the survey got their internship through a Farmingdale instructor or a Farmingdale internship program. 58% of those graduates believed the internship experience helped them secure their job.
  • Baccalaureate survey respondents received degrees in majors from the School of Business (40%), School of Engineering Technology (28%), School Health Sciences (9%) and School of Arts and Sciences (26%).
Farmingdale assists students in gaining satisfying employment in several ways, including enlisting executives from business and industry to help advise the College on the development of academic programs, so they are shaped to equip students with the critical skills needed to succeed in the work place. The College also maintains extensive internship and experiential learning programs, networking opportunities with alumni, regular jobs fairs, and tutelage in job interviewing and resume writing.

Farmingdale, the largest college of applied science and technology within SUNY, has a fall enrollment of more than 9,000 students—giving it the second-largest undergraduate population among 4-year institutions in Nassau-Suffolk, after Stony Brook University.

Top