May 30, 2007
88th Commencement at Farmingdale State College
On Sunday May 20, 2007, Dr. W. Hubert Keen officiated at his first commencement exercises, nine days after he was installed President of Farmingdale State College.
Nancy L. Diekelmann, PhD, RN, FAAN, Helen Denne Schulte Professor Emerita, School of Nursing at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters. Dr. Diekelmann delivered the keynote address.
Senator Charles Schumer was present and e gave a motivating and encouraging speech to the graduating class.
More than 30 members of the Class of '57 reminisced about the "farm" at their 50th anniversary reunion.
Thirteen members of the campus community were honored by the Chancellor of the State University of New York:
- Dr. Vicki Janik, professor of English & chair of the professional communications department has been designated a Distinguished Teaching
- Professor (Stony Brook)Professor Serdar Elgun, mechanical engineering technology department, has been designated a Distinguished Service Professor (Brookhaven)
- Professor Marjenah Issapour, electrical engineering technology department & director of the CISCO Networking Academy, received Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Faculty Service (Woodbury)
The following students were recipients of the Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence:
- Denise Botiglione - Business Administration major (Lindenhurst)
- Robin Dunn - Business Administration major (Lindenhurst)
- Rachele Fischer - Liberal Arts & Sciences (Medford)
- April Orthner - Management of Technology (Levittown)
- Janine Segalini - Computer Programming & Information Systems (Lindenhurst)
The following students received the Chancellor's Award for Student-Athletes:
- Peter Lipka (Shelton, Conn.), Management of Technology - Men's Basketball
- Ryan LaFlare (Lindenhurst), Management of Technology - Men's Lacrosse
- Ryan Williams (Westbury), Management of Technology - Golf
- James Verrichio (Massapequa Park), Management of Technology - Men's Soccer
- Reggie Routier (Freeport), Management of Technology - Men's Indoor & Outdoor Track
Approximately 1100 students graduated.