Braced Length & Column Buckling - Laboratory Worksheet
Name _____________________________________________ Date Performed _________________
Team Partners ____________________________________
- L = Column length = 36" (keep constant)
- H = Horizontal distance = 1.5" (unbraced)
- P = Load (number of pennies) = (see Column Bracing Experiment)
- q = Angle of Cable = 45� (keep constant)
Sketch the Column Buckling for each braced length diagram below
- Which braced length diagram had the least buckling and which had the most?
- Based on the results of this test, how will this concept influence your design? Please explain.