Dr. Emily A. Fogarty
History, Politics and Geography
Memorial Hall 232
Doctorate of Philosophy, College of Social Science (2009)
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
Department of Geography and Environmental Science
Majoring in Geography
Minor in Statistics & Urban and Regional Planning
Dr. Fogarty has over a decade of experience teaching the geospatial science of geography. Teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate level, in person, hybrid and online classes. Dr. Fogarty's past research focused on spatial and temporal variation in tropical cyclone activity related to large scale climate variability, and has published a book chapter entitled “Network analysis of U.S. hurricanes", in Hurricanes and Climate Change. Dr. Fogarty's current research is related to the geography of the tattoo industry, understanding the geography of virtual social media landscapes and GIS education for K-12 teachers/students.
- Fogarty, E. A. (2017, January). Using Geospatial Education and Geographic Information Science (GISC) Technologies to Enhance Student Engagement in Research Aligned Mentorship Opportunities. Retrieved from https://facultyresourcenetwork.org/publications/teaching-a-new-generation-of-students/emily-a-fogarty-emily-a-fogarty-farmingdale-state-college-state-university-of-new-york/
- Maps published in book by Robert A. Saunders Popular Geopolitics and Nation Branding in the Post-Soviet Realm Routledge 2017
- Fogarty, E. A. “Modifiable Areal Unit Problem." Encyclopedia of Geography. 2010. SAGE Publications. http://www.sage-ereference.com/geography/Article_n780.html.
- Fogarty, E. A., J. B. Elsner, T. H. Jagger, and A. A. Tsonis (2009), “Network analysis of U.S. hurricanes, in Hurricanes and Climate Change”, edited by J. Elsner and T. Jagger, pp. 153– 168, Springer, New York.
- Elsner, J.B., T.H. Jagger, and E.A. Fogarty, 2009: “Visibility network of U.S. hurricanes”, Geophysical Research Letters, 36, L16702, doi: 10.1029/2009GL039129.
- Fogarty, E., J. B. Elsner, T. H. Jagger, and K.-b. Liu, 2006: "Variations in typhoon landfalls over China”, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, 23, 665-677.
- Upcoming --> NYS Economics Association 2017 Annual Conference Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale,
NY., Oct. 2017
- A Visualization of the Geoeconomic Relationships Linking Coastal Commercial Marine and Fishing Firms to Tourism Activities found on Long Island, New York
- American Association of Geographers Conference, Boston, MA., April 2017
- Mapping and Analyzing select New York State Counties for Potential High School Partners in Support of the Proposed Advanced Placement Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIS&T) Course
- Faculty Resource Network Panel Presentation for Annual Symposium, Atlanta, GA Nov.
- Session: Reaching the New Generation of Students through Student Engagement, Study Abroad, and Research Aligned Mentorships
- American Association of Geographers Conference, San Francisco, CA April 2016
- Session: The Changing Geographies of Music: Space, Technology, Politics, Identity
- American Association of Geographers Conference, Boston, MA April 2008.
- Session: Hurricanes III: Spatial and Temporal Variability
- Southeastern Division Association of Geographers Conference, Biloxi, MS November 2004.
- Session: Weather and Climate
- American Association of Geographers Conference, Philadelphia, PA March 2004.
First in the World Research Aligned Mentorship (RAM) Program - Academic Fellowship Award: (Summer 2016).
CoursesWorld and Its Peoples
Maps and Map Analysis
Introduction to GIS
Statistics for Geographers
Research Methods in Geography
Geography Minor Coordinator