In accordance with State Education Law (Article 129-a) and Policies and Regulations of the New York State Board of Trustees, the New York State Board of Regents, and the Office of the Chancellor of the State University of New York Farmingdale State has instituted a "credit card marketing policy" effective immediately. All advertising, marketing, or merchandising of credit cards on the Farmingdale State University of New York's campus shall be banned except as provided in the following policy:
1. All credit card marketers who desire to have a presence on our campus shall file a request to do so with the Office of the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life.
A. All applications for credit card marketing on campus will be responded to within two weeks of said application being received by the Office of the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life.
B.All applications will be discussed and considered by the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life in consultation with the Director of Campus Activities and the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Final decisions, as per Chancellor regulations will reside with the V.P. Student Development and Student Life. All marketers who receive approval will obtain express written authorization to be on campus for the purpose of advertising, marketing, or merchandising of their credit card(s).
C. Once approval and conditions thereof have been determined by the College through the aforementioned process, the credit card marketing firm shall be considered "registered" with the College.
D. All registered firms shall re-apply to the Office of the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life annually by submitting a new application for approval.
2. All registered (and thus, approved) credit card marketers will be PROHIBITED from using "gifts" or "gift services" as an inducement to students to "sign up" and/or apply for a credit card. Gifts to clients (students) received after a student has been approved for credit by the marketer must be included in the application for original approval and registration to the Office of the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life.
3. All registered and approved credit card marketers will be required to offer financial and credit management workshops in New Student Orientation annually as well as to conduct at least one mid-year workshop of the same genre open to all students. These workshops must include segments that provide students with information on good credit management practices, understanding of credit reports, and methodology for managing one's credit and debt payments.
4. Marketers may be restricted to specific locations, at specific times, and in a specific manner as prescribed by the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life. Marketers may not post flyers or otherwise publicize their efforts prior to their date, time, and location. This may only be done ON THE DAY OF their efforts as approved by the College.
5. This policy does not apply to any advertising, marketing or merchandising of credit cards by either the college (such as the Alumni or Farmingdale Foundations) or an agent of the college to non-students (explicitly, staff and faculty), nor does it prohibit the advertising, marketing, or merchandising of credit cards to students through direct mail, newspapers, or other media.
As per the Vice President for Student Development and Student Life.
Effective January 1, 2005