Credit by Evaluation
The following outlines the procedure for the granting of life-experience credit for
the Business and Computer Systems Department:
- The student selects a particular course offered by the Department (BCS or BUS) that he/she is seeking credit for and contacts the Department Chairperson with this course in mind.
- The department chairperson will identify a faculty member with expertise in the area being challenged.
- The student contacts the identified faculty member to:
- determine if the student’s prior knowledge matches the course content.
- explain the method of evaluation to be used in determining the student’s expertise in the area of the course content.
- If the student decides to continue with this process, he/she obtains a Credit-by-Evaluation form from either the Dean’s Office or the Department Chairperson.
- The student fills out the form and returns it to the Department Chairperson for approval.
- The approved form is submitted to the Bursar’s Office with payment of $20 per credit.
- The form is then returned to the Department Chairperson for forwarding to the appropriate faculty evaluator.
- Evaluation is arranged between the faculty evaluator and the student.
- After the evaluation is completed, the faculty evaluator returns the completed Credit-by-Evaluation form to the Department Chairperson indicating whether or not granting of credit is recommended or not.
- If credit is recommended, the Department Chairperson completes the forms necessary to have this course appear on the student’s record.
NOTE: Students seeking credit for BCS102 – Computer Concepts and Applications will
not have to see a faculty evaluator. There is a standard exam for this course.
The BCS102 Standard Exam is composed of two parts – a concepts part and an applications part:
- The applications part of the exam covers Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- To see what is covered in the concepts part – click here
The process would begin with Step 4 above. After submission of the form in step 7 above, the student will be notified as to the arrangements for this exam.