Happy Holidays! The Office of Alumni Relations would like to take this opportunity to thank all our wonderful alumni for their continued support. We have had an exciting Fall and continue to plan and promote our alumni agenda. We also have some special student accomplishments to tell you about.
Our Homecoming on September 28 was a great success. Students, alumni and families shared their FSC pride on a beautiful day with BBQ, amusements, alumni and intramural games as well as children's crafts. It was a wonderful day of FSC spirit and camaraderie.
We are privileged to have over 200 employees on campus who are also Farmingdale graduates. We wanted to celebrate these special employees and their commitment to FSC and did so with a lunch in their honor on Friday, December 6. It was a wonderful gathering and offered everyone the chance to renew their alumni connection.
We are already scheduling alumni events for next year. Stay tuned for more information on these and other upcoming events:
Alumni Awards Dinner - March 28, 2014
Alumni & Friends Ducks Game - September 20, 2014
Homecoming 2014 and 50 Year Class Reunion - the weekend of October 28, 2014
- Farmingdale State Campus continues to be at the forefront of the solar energy initiative and we recently had a ribbon cutting ceremony for the opening of our solar carport. This facility is the first of its kind within SUNY and is the result of collaboration with the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), the U.S. Department of Energy, and Stony Brook University. Farmingdale's "Green Growth Initiative" was developed by President Keen as part of the College's mission to develop the college as a model of Green Technology - one of the ten goals established last year in celebration of the college's 100th Anniversary. As SUNY's largest college of technology and an important economic engine for the region, Farmingdale continues to invest in sustainability (see press release).
- Our Construction Management students are in the news with the announcement of scholarships given to five students from the prestigious Moles organization. The Moles is a fraternal organization of the heavy construction industry and the President of the Moles is one of our esteemed alumni, Mr. Art Corwin, '76. Mr. Corwin personally selected Farmingdale State College and 5 of our students to be the recipients of the President's scholarships to thank the school that launched his career in the construction industry. Our thanks again to Mr. Corwin for his continued support of Farmingdale State College. (see press release).
- Our aviation students also took top honors this semester. The Intercollegiate Flying Team announced their first place win in the NIFA regional competition. They competed against six of the top aviation schools in the northeast. After four days of grueling 13-hour competition, they placed in the top ten in every event, taking first place in ground events, second in flight events to West Point, and first place in the competition, overall. There are many alumni currently working in our Aviation Department including Dr. Jeanne Radigan, '81, Acting Chairperson, and the Director of Operations, Larry Lopez, '01.
- Two Farmingdale students are winners of 2013 Fulbright Scholarships - highly competitive, merit-based grands for international educational exchange. David Davila and Himmler Joachim (professional communication majors) were selected for this year's awards. David will teach English in Argentina and Himmler will teach English in Thailand. Since 2009 FSC has been privileged to have 5 students win this award!
- Some of you will have attended FSC between 1978 and 2000 when Dr. Frank Cipriani was the college president. In September, the campus perimeter road was named Cipriani Drive. Check out the photos on Flickr.
Our partnership with the John Engeman Theater in Northport continues. Its great new season is underway. You can purchase your tickets by calling the box office directly at 631-261-2900 and mention the FARM ALUM code to buy tickets online through www.engemantheater.com and add FARM ALUM in the promo box. This code gives you a discount and also gives back a percentage of sales to the Alumni Association to fund programs and scholarships. Check out the attached flyer for more information on this season's performances.
Our Centurion Club honors the top 100 graduates of our first 100 years. We continue to seek candidates for this prestigious award, presented each year at out Alumni Awards Dinner (March 28). To nominate an outstanding alumni, please call the Alumni Relations office at 631-420-2369.
Donations to the Alumni Association are used to support scholarships and other alumni initiatives. We welcome your financial support as we continue to promote the Alumni Association and bring you special events and programs. You can donate directly by contacting our office at 631-420-2369 or by logging onto our FSC Alumni page and clicking the 'MAKE A GIFT' tab. Our thanks to all who have generously donated in the past and we look forward to your continue support.
Regina Vazquez, AAS ‘76
Acting Director, Alumni Relations
Farmingdale State College Alumni Association
Ward Hall, Room 10
2350 Broadhollow Road
Farmingdale, NY 11735