Transfer Services


Ready to Apply?
File your application
online through SUNY's
Apply Now

Home :: Admissions :: Transfer Services :: Transfer Fast Facts and FAQ

Farmingdale Fast Facts & FAQ's

Did you know?
  • With a Fall 2013 enrollment of 8,163, Farmingdale is the largest of the technology colleges.
  • The College has been ranked as one of the best baccalaureate colleges in the North by the U.S. News & World Report.
  • Farmingdale is the only public college in New York State offering the Aeronautical Science/Professional Pilot Bachelor Degree with 23 meticulously maintained Piper and Cessna air-crafts.
  • The College has been ranked as one of the safest colleges in the U.S. by the online publication Daily Beast.
  • Farmingdale has first rate athletic facilities including a brand new eight lane all-weather track surrounding a synthetic turf soccer/lacrosse field, and a baseball stadium with lights and synthetic turf.  Our 18 Varsity Division III sports teams have won seven Skyline Championships in the past four years. 
  • Seven of our programs have a 100% employment rate.
How are admissions decisions made?
  • Decisions are based upon the quality of your high school's academic offerings, your grade point average, rank in class and SAT or ACT scores. Farmingdale looks for a HS GPA of B/B+.  Transfer students are required to have a GPA of 2.5.
What kind of SAT scores do I need to be accepted?
  • SAT or ACT scores are required for all applicants who graduated from high school after 1998. Transfer students who have completed a minimum of 24 credits with a GPA of at least 2.5 do not need to send their SAT/ACT scores.  The average SAT scores for the 2012 incoming freshman was 1,020. Farmingdale State College looks for a combined Critical Reading/Math SAT score if at least 1000 and or a minimum of a 21 composite score on the ACT for admission. 
Is it harder for out-of-state students to gain admission?
  • The admissions criteria are the same for students whether they live in New York or elsewhere. It is natural for a state university to attract many students from within its borders, but we welcome and encourage out-of-state and international students to apply.
Do you accept AP or other college level courses for college credit?
  • Yes, Farmingdale does accept AP or other college level courses.  AP scores must be sent through  Farmingdale will accept equivalent courses of "C" or better for transfer.  For further questions regarding AP scores or transfer credits, please contact the Transfer Services Department at (631) 420-2594. 
Is there a deadline for applications?
  • The application deadline for the Fall semester is July 1st and January 3rd for the Spring.  Please note that individual curriculum's follow different deadlines (i.e. Nursing, Dental Hygiene, etc.)
What if I don't meet the entrance requirements?
  • If you are denied admission, you can enroll in classes as a non-matriculated student. Before registering, please meet with an advisor.
What is the difference between matriculated and non-matriculated students?
  • When you are formally accepted into a degree or certificate program, you are known as a matriculated student. You are eligible to apply for financial aid and campus housing.  Non-matriculated students are students who are attending classes at Farmingdale, but are not registered in a degree program. Please note, matriculation is required for graduation.
How can I schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor?
  • To schedule an appointment with an Admissions counselor, please call (631) 420-2200. Please make sure to bring any transcripts with you; they may be unofficial for the purpose of this meeting.
How do I schedule a campus tour?
  • Interested in visiting our campus?  We can't wait to meet you!  Please view our Campus Tour page.
How do I find out about Open House?
  • Each semester, prospective students and their families and friends are invited to learn about Farmingdale State. Open House is a great opportunity to tour the campus, meet current students and faculty, ask questions concerning financial aid, residence life, athletics, admissions, academic course offerings and any other areas. Please visit the Open House website to make a reservation!
How do I apply as an International Student?
  • Farmingdale welcomes International students to apply for admissions. For details on this program, please reference our International Students page for more information.
How many different academic programs are there?
What kind of athletic program does Farmingdale offer?
  • Farmingdale State's Athletic Program offers student athletes a wide variety of opportunities for participation. The College is a Division III member of the NCAA, National Collegiate Athletic Association, and competes as members of the Skyline, ECAC, and CTC Conferences. The program, available for men & women, offers student-athletes a wide variety of opportunities for participation. The College is committed to the ideals of a quality intercollegiate athletic program that offer students a quality educational experience. The College supports the intercollegiate program and student-athletes within the guidelines of the State University Board of Trustees.