Distinguished Service Award
The Farmingdale State College Distinguished Service Award honors individuals whose contributions to the college have been exceptional. The award will be conferred by the President of the College, after consultation with an ad hoc review committee convened for the purpose of considering candidates.
|Distinguished Service Award Winners
|Raynor Wallace**||Chairperson, English/Humanities||1987|
|John M. Purcell**||Vice President||1989|
|Gary Brown, PhD*||Chairperson, Ornamental Horticulture||2013|
|Richard Overton||Farmingdale College Foundation||2013|
|George P. LaRosa||Senior Vice President and CFO, Administration & Finance||2016|
|Lloyd Makarowitz, PhD||Chairperson, Physics Department||2016|
|* Emeritus/Retired||** Deceased|
- Candidates for the Distinguished Service Award may be members of the college faculty, emeritus faculty, staff, retired staff, or members of the external community who have had especially close affiliation and contributions to the college.
- The award recognizes extraordinary dedication and commitment to a department or unit of the college, to the college at large or to the college community.
- Candidates may have distinguished professional achievement or service in or related to a field of endeavor, discipline or profession.
- The candidate's character and integrity should be widely recognized and positively reflect and enhance the prestige of the college.
- Candidate's sustained service should cover a substantial period of years and should be recognized for its exceptional impact on the mission and goals of the institution.
The following procedures will guide the process of identifying candidates for recommendation to the President.
- The award may be given annually, however with the limit of not more than two given within any calendar year.
- Nominations may be made by any member of the college community. Written nominations should be sent to the President's Office and should include justification for how nominees meet the criteria for the award.
- It is not necessary to obtain permission of candidates prior to nomination, and it is required that confidentiality of nominations be maintained by nominators.
- The President will appoint, convene and brief an ad hoc committee to review candidate(s) when it is anticipated that an award will be given.
- Awards may be given in different venues depending upon the affiliations of the individual being honored.