Curriculum Information Guide
Dental Hygiene - CompletionDr. Maureen Tsokris, Chair
Dental Hygiene Department
Theresa Patnode Santmann School of Health Sciences
Online Bachelor of Science Degree Completion
The Bachelor of Science degree program in Dental Hygiene is designed to meet the transfer and continuing education needs of Associate in Applied Science Degree graduates in Dental Hygiene. This program will offer students a foundation of knowledge that will prepare them for the emerging roles within the dental hygiene profession. Emphasis is placed on broadening the career paths for practicing hygienists. Foundation courses are in the areas of teaching, research and public health. As part of the capstone practicum course, students are given the opportunity to further explore a specific area of interest through an internship. Based on personal interest, students may partner with corporations, hospitals, public health programs/facilities or educational institutions.
As the dental hygiene profession continues to expand many career opportunities require advanced degrees. This degree completion program in dental hygiene is tailored to provide comprehensive upper-level studies that will prepare dental hygienists to adapt to the emerging new roles in oral healthcare.
Please refer to the Safety and Technical Standards in the front section of the College catalog.
Typical Employment Opportunities
Dental Hygiene Education
Dental Insurance Companies
Geriatric Facilities, Case Management
Pharmaceutical Corporations, Sales and Management
Pharmaceutical Corporations, Research and Development
Public Health Agencies
Dental Hygiene (BS Degree Completion) Program Outcomes:
- The dental hygiene graduate will be able to utilize professional judgment and critical thinking skills to determine the treatment needs of geriatric and special needs patients.
- The dental hygiene graduate will appreciate the role of leadership, management, and technology as it applies to dental hygiene practice.
- The dental hygiene graduate will develop the skills necessary to analyze and apply scientific literature in the dental hygiene process of care.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be able to develop a comprehensive community based oral health care program.
- The dental hygiene graduate will demonstrate an understanding of the learning process, various teaching methodologies and evaluation techniques as they apply to the dental hygiene educator.
- The dental hygiene graduate will be empowered to seek employment opportunities other than traditional clinical practice.
- The dental hygiene graduate will seek educational advancement for continued growth and development following commencement.
As a student in the Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science Degree Completion Program in dental hygiene, you are eligible to participate in the Student American Dental Hygienists’ Association (SADHA) which promotes student leadership through community outreach, lunch and learn programs and various campus activities.
To facilitate transfer into graduate level programs, the Dental Hygiene Department has established seamless transfer agreements with Stony Brook University, School of Health Technology and Management for a Master of Science in Health Care Policy and Management and University of Bridgeport, Fones School of Dental Hygiene for a Master of Science in Dental Hygiene.PDF Version
Fall 2018-Subject to Revision
|Liberal Arts and Sciences||(39 credits)|
|The Arts (GE)||3|
|MTH 110 Statistics (GE)||3|
|American/Other World/Western Civilization History (GE)||3|
|BIO 240 Bioethics||3|
|Foreign Language – Level II (GE)||3|
|Liberal Arts & Science Electives*||18|
* 200 level or above recommended
Please refer to the General Education and Writing-Intensive Requirement Sections of the College catalog and consult with your advisor to ensure that graduation requirements are satisfied. In addition, compare the Liberal Arts and Sciences courses you have successfully completed in your associate degree program to confirm general education requirements that you have met.
|College and Program Requirement
|Grade of C or higher in EGL 102 is a graduation requirement.
EGL 102 is to be completed in the first semester as a program requirement.
|EGL 102 Composition Literature||3|
|Required: Dental Hygiene||(25 credits)|
|DEN 303 Practice Management for Quality Assurance||3|
|DEN 309 Oral Epidemiology in Public Health||3|
|DEN 310 Teaching Strategies for Health Care Educators||3|
|DEN 401W Health Science Research: Principles and Methods||3|
|DEN 402 Gerontology||3|
|DEN 406W Proposals and Grant Management for Health Programs||3|
|DEN 407 Dental Hygiene Practicum Seminar||1|
|DEN 409 Dental Hygiene Practicum||3|
Note: Students must take at least one 3 credit hour course designated as Writing Intensive to graduate.
Degree Type: BS
Total Required Credits: 64
Admission to Farmingdale State College - State University of New York is based on the qualifications of the applicant without regard to age, sex, marital or military status, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.