International Education


Ready to Apply?
File your application
online through SUNY's
Apply Now

Home :: Academics :: Centers and Institutes :: International Education :: Employment with International Organizations

Employment with International Organizations

Information on International Organization Work Permission


F-1 students who have been offered employment with an International Organization such as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund or United Nations may apply for special employment permission from USICE. Students may work part-time (20 hours per week) while school is in session and full-time during vacation periods, provided that the students will continue their studies during the following semester. Work permission with an international organization does not reduce the amount of curricular or optional practical training one can use. Note: Students cannot participate during the school year if they already have an assistantship or other on-campus employment equaling 20 hours per week.


You may begin working only after receiving the EAD from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Contact the International Student Advisor if you have any questions.


To apply for special employment permission you should do all of the following in the order listed:

  • Obtain a written offer of employment from the International Organization. The letter should specify the period of employment and the number of hours per week you will be employed.
  • Obtain application forms I-538, I-765 from .
  • Fill out I-538 and I-765. Question #16 is "(c) (3) (ii)." Make sure you have the most recent version of the I-765 form (Rev. 04-25-95).
  • Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor (ISA).
  • Bring your passport, I-20, I-538, offer letter and I-765 to the appointment with the ISA. Note: ISA will do all of the following:
    • Complete I-538 and endorse I-20 as if for travel. Signature needs to be within 30 days of USICE receiving the application.
    • Send original I-538 to USICE.
    • Return I-20, I-765, and a copy of I-538 to you.
  • You will need to obtain 2 color photographs. Possible photo location is Fred Bruder, , phone: (516) 221-9844. CISP will give you a signature card to enclose with the photos. Sign the card in the blue signature box. No fingerprint is necessary. Lightly print your name on the back of each photo with a pencil.

Send to USICE within 30 days of receiving ISA's signature:

  • original form I-765 marked "International Organization Permit" ( ).
  • a photocopy of form I-538 ( ).
  • a photocopy of both sides of I-20 and I-94
  • a photocopy of offer letter from International Organization
  • 2 photos, a signature card and a check made out to "USICE" for $120.
  • Please indicate clearly, "I-765: International Organization Permit form", on the outside of the envelope.
  • If you live in New York send the application to:
    • USICE
      Vermont Service Center
      75 Lower Welden Street
      St. Albans, VT 05479-0001
  • If you live in a state other than New York, ask an Advisor in CISP for the appropriate USICE mailing address.
  • It is advisable to keep photocopies of all documents sent to USICE.


The EAD will be mailed to the student. Current processing time is 30 to 60 days. However, the USICE is allowed 90 days to process any application.


There are special tax considerations for F-1 students who claim non-resident tax status. Please consult I.R.S. Publication 519 ( ) for more information.