Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen & Hong Kong, China
About the Location
By following the smart phone supply chain in China, students will visit the cities of Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong. Students will visit companies in smart phone industry from components producers, assembly manufacturers, logistics companies, and retailers. We will also visit some famous attractions of China, such as the Great Wall in Beijing, the Bund in Shanghai, to learn more about China culture and business environment. The greatest miracle in poverty reduction in human history has been happening in China for the past few decades (and has since been rippling across the globe). Underlying this dramatic improvement in well being has a shift from central planning towards free trade and the unleashing of entrepreneurship. Our tour will take us from Beijing to Hong Kong as we follow the smart phone supply chain. The classes available on this trip will use this experience to explore business and economics issues related to China's growth miracle: what we can learn from it, and how we can participate.
About the Course
- Students will learn about international business, global supply chain, and conducting business in China.
- With the growing importance of China in the global economy, this real-world experience will provide you with an introduction and opportunity to understand cultural nuances of business in China, gain insights into business innovation, and the chance to expand your career development.
- The implications of China's growth cannot be understated. Throughout this study abroad experience, students will learn thinking tools that will help them to understand the cause of China's success and identify looming threats.
- 3-6 credits
- Courses to choose from:
- BUS 280 International Business
- BUS 312 Procurement and Supply Chain
- BUS 390 Special Topics – Conducting Business in China
- ECO 156 Principles of Economics – Macro (GE)
- ECO 390 Special Topics – International Entrepreneurship (GE)
- Students stay in local hotel accommodations in shared rooms
- Single rooms available at an additional cost
- Faculty will be staying at the same location as the students
- GPA Requirement: 2.5 minimum
- Student must be in good disciplinary standing
- Program offered to freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Step 1: Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application
- After this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process
- Step 2: All FSC students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with a study
abroad advisor in the Office of International Education and Programs prior to completing
their program specific application
- OIEP is located on the 3rd floor of Laffin Hall, Room 320