Nicosia, capital of Cyprus, combines both old and new in a busy modern commercial and business center and a centuries-old culture. The center of the city is it's old quarter surrounded by a Venetian sandstone fortress wall with a moat and heart-shaped bastions. Mosques and palm trees give an oriental atmosphere to the old city. Wander round narrow streets with overhanging balconies and the beautiful restored pedestrian precinct with craft shops, cafes and taverns. The new city spreads beyond the walls with a modern Europeanised center of high-rise buildings, office blocks, shops and pavement cafes, expanding into suburban residential areas.
University of Nicosia
- Classes are taught at the University of Nicosia's main campus in Nicosia and students receive a University of Nicosia transcript upon successful completion of their coursework.
- The University of Nicosia is a well-known international institution and the largest university in Cyprus with over 7,000 students (including 1,000 international degree-seeking students) enrolled at three campuses in the three largest cities in Cyprus.
- The university is accredited at the bachelor's, master's and doctorate level and has particular strengths in business, international relations, engineering, computer science and some areas of the social sciences.
- All of the classroom buildings in Nicosia were built over the last decade and match modern American facilities in terms of design, comfort and information technology.
- The University of Nicosia is designed on the American semester model and uses US standards for grading, contact hours and credit hours. All University of Nicosia courses, for local or international students, are taught in English.
- Students must be a matriculated student at Farmingdale State College.
- Courses are taught by UNic professors
- Students will be registered for 2 of the following courses:
- Students live with other international students, in fully furnished apartments in the areas surrounding the university campus.
- Housing information
- GPA Requirement: 2.75
- Student must be in good disciplinary standing
- Program offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Step 1: Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application
- After this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Step 2: All FSC students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with a study
abroad advisor in the Office of International Education and Programs prior to completing their program specific application.
- OIEP is located on the 3rd floor of Laffin Hall, Room 320
- All program, lab, and field fees
- Full use of University of Nicosia labs and facilities
- Double occupancy housing (2 students/bedroom), typically in 2BR apartments in residential areas of Nicosia
- On-site orientation and emergency support from local staff
- All admission fees to museums and cultural institutions visited with the group
- All guide fees for group trips and excursions
- Airport welcome and transfer from Larnaca airport to Nicosia. All airport transfers when traveling with the group
- Insurance for overseas medical expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation
- Use of a GSM cell phone handset
- US-based support for credit transfer, financial aid and alumni services