Farmingdale State established the Institute for Research and Technology Transfer to support the economic growth of Long Island and the surrounding region. The Institute provides local industries with a powerful blend of modern, cost-effective manufacturing systems and faculty at the cutting edge of technology. Small- and medium-size companies stand to gain a number of benefits and receive professional services offered by the IRTT.
The IRTT offers a variety of services which include:
- Partnership with companies to help them obtain Research & Development funds and tap into Federal and State annual budgets of more than $1.2 Billion
- Conduct collaborative applied research work geared to enhance productivity, quality and cost effectiveness, as well as solve operation and production problems
- Demonstrate state-of-the-art automated technologies, such as the unmanned Computer Integrated Manufacturing System
- Provide local companies with access to modern equipment and outsourcing opportunities
- Coordinate internships and senior projects with the local industrial community
- Disseminate current knowledge and new techniques through conferences, workshops, etc.
- Provide consultants to review a company's manufacturing processes and recommend necessary modifications to improve industrial competitiveness
- Assist companies with lean manufacturing and ISO9000 certifications
- Offer a wide array of workshops to sharpen the skills of the workforce and tailor the courses to fulfill industry needs