External Research Opportunities for Students
The websites below will link you to 100’s of opportunities for off-campus research and applied learning that are available to you during your undergraduate career. Most are funded summer research programs at universities across the US.
The first tab will connect you to a multitude of searchable databases where you can find opportunities that match your academic and/or career interests.
The second tab accesses specific programs that might be of interest to you.
We will continue to add more opportunities to these sites, so check them often.
Finally, keep this advice in mind:
- Application deadlines usually fall between October and April – with most applications due in December, January, and February
- The typical application will require you to write an essay and will ask for letters of reference from your faculty and university mentors
- Don’t be shy! Your faculty, program directors, and professional staff are available to help you with your application. Just ask….and ask early!
- Once you have prepared one application, it should be easy to rework it to fit another opportunity (and your faculty don’t mind revising their letters to be addressed to another competition). So increase your odds of winning. Plan to apply for more than one opportunity.
GO FOR IT! You have nothing to lose in applying….and a successful application will surely change your life!
This section will connect you to a multitude of searchable databases where you can find opportunities that match your academic and/or career interests.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities (UGRO) - University of California, Santa Cruz
- Scholarships and Other Award Resources (SOAR) - Binghamton University, SUNY
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Off-campus Research Opportunities - University of California, Irvine
- Summer Health Professions Education Program Sites - Summer Health Professions Education Program
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) - University of Illinois-Chicago
- Search for Grants/Fellowships - Yale University
- Field School Opportunities / Internship Opportunities - American Anthropological Association
- Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities Bulletin - Archaeological Institute of America
- US Government Research Internships for Undergraduates in the STEM Science Fields - STEMUndergrads.science.gov
- Off-Campus Research Opportunities - Bates
- UK Research Councils - TopCareer.jobs
- Undergraduate Research by Major or by Department - University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Research Opportunities - University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Other Research Opportunities
This section accesses specific programs that might be of interest to you.
- Advice on applying for NSF REUs
- Applying for REUs?
- So You Want to Apply for an REU… Here’s How
- Biological Sciences - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Chemistry - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Computer and Information Science and Engineering - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Earth Science - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Engineering - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- International Science and Engineering - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Mathematical Sciences - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Ocean Sciences - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Physics - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences - National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Possible Funding Sources - Web Guide to Research for Undergraduates (WebGURU)
- Off-campus Opportunities - Stony Brook University
- Opportunities for Non-Stony Brook students - Stony Brook University
SUNY summer research in basic science, medicine, nursing, environmental health, and physical therapy at SUNY Upstate Medical U and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
SUNY Upstate Medical University and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry have recently been awarded a SUNY Performance Improvement Fund grant to expand our Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program to triple its current size. We are looking for SUNY Undergraduate students to participate. This newly enlarged program will offer students the opportunity to perform research from a wide variety of perspectives (basic science, medicine, nursing, environmental health, and physical therapy). The aim of the SURF program is to nurture undergraduate students into careers that combine biomedical research into their chosen profession, providing them an understanding of research across disciplines and fields. We are specifically looking for students interested in pursuing a PhD, MS, MD, MD/PhD, DNP, DPT, MPH and Physician Assistant: MS. Depending on a student’s research interests, the students is paired with a faculty member in one of our 5 colleges (Graduate Studies, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing and SUNY ESF) to learn more about those professions and to perform cutting edge research. All students will interact throughout the ten-week program allowing them to see research from many different facets by participating in inter-professional education events. Students from SUNY institutions or underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
Michael Cosgrove, PhD
Director, Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program SUNY Upstate Medical University